The Top 5 Things To Do in Austin: Tacos, Patios and more!
January 8, 2024
If you're visiting Austin, TX for the first time, you're in the right place!
As a digital nomad, I spent a whole month in Austin and have visited several other times. It is one of my favorite cities and has so much to offer! Whether you enjoy breakfast tacos, outdoor adventure or shopping, there are so many fun things to do in Austin.
Here are my top five things to do in the Texas State Capital.
2024 Update: Austin is directly in the path of total eclipse occurring on April 8th, 2024! Check out the Visit Austin website for a list of viewing events around the city.
- Eat Breakfast Tacos - Austin is known for their incredible breakfast tacos and I recommend eating them at every opportunity! Some of my favorites include Veracruz All Natural, Pueblo Viejo and Valentina’s Tex Mex BBQ.
- Paddle on Lady Bird Lake - If you're looking for outdoor activities in Austin, one great option is to go kayaking or paddle boarding on Lady Bird Lake! You’ll get incredible views of downtown and escape some of the Texas heat. Paddle at dusk to watch the bats take off from South Congress bridge from the water.
- Explore South Congress Ave - Explore SoCo is an Austin must-do! Walk down South Congress Ave for an eclectic variety of restaurants and shops, plus colorful murals. Be sure to check out the ‘I love you so much’ mural on Jo’s Coffee and order an iced turbo!
- Enjoy an outdoor bar or restaurant - Sit outside on a spacious patio and enjoy delicious food with a cold drink. My favorites are Cosmic Coffee and Beer, Easy Tiger on South Lamar and Austin Eastciders at Barton Springs.
- Eat Texas Asian Fusion - There are several incredible restaurants in Austin offering a fusion of Asian cuisine and Tex-Mex or BBQ. Try Loro for an Asian Smokehouse, Kemuri Tatsu-Ya for Japanese izakaya with a Texas twist or East Side King for Japanese street food with the soul of Austin.
I hope this quick Austin travel guide helps start planning your trip! For more details, check out my Austin itinerary!
For more Texas Travel Guides, check out these blogs:
- The Best Things To Do in Dripping Springs, TX
- The Perfect Fredericksburg Weekend Itinerary
- 40+ Things To Do in Texas Hill Country
- The Best Hikes in Texas Hill Country
- A Guide to Visiting Enchanted Rock
- How to Spend 3 Days in San Antonio
- Top 10 Things To Do in Dallas
Thanks for Reading!
Let's stay in touch!
Join the Lost with Lydia email list to get monthly travel guides and tips!